- This event has passed.
Introduction to Yoga Philosophy and Sacred Texts Online Course
August 4 @ 8:00 am - September 3 @ 5:00 pm$195
Join me for an introductory study of the origins and development of Yoga.
We begin with yoga philosophy and the ideas of sacred texts which are the earliest expositions of Yoga. Together we will explore the Vedas, Upanishads, Bhagavad-gita, and Yoga Sutras as well as review the ideas of the Buddha.
This course gives a detailed understanding of the fundamental ideas on which Yoga practice is based and the ways in which it has developed over time, especially in western culture.
Great for yoga students as well as teachers.
Course Includes 5 sessions which you can follow at your own pace and the comfort of home:
Session 1: What is Yoga? An Introduction to Yoga Philosophy
Session 2: Sacred Texts and Early History (Vedas, Upanishads, Bhagavad-gita)
Session 3: Stilling the Body, Stilling the Mind: The Yogasutra of Patanjali
Session 4: The story of the Buddha, The 8 Fold Path, and Mindfulness practices.
Session 5: Yoga in the Modern World: The Rise of Modern Asana Practice
Topics covered in this course include:
- How old is yoga? Is it really a 5,000 year old tradition?
- Exploring the sources and texts of yoga’s ancient past
- Understanding the meaning of the word yoga
- Understanding the philosophy of the Yogasutra and its relation to yoga traditions
- Bhaktiyoga and the Bhagavad Gita
- The “yogic body”: prana, nadis, chakras, and kundalini
- The history of yogic postures (asana)
Cost: $195 (may be paid in 2 installments)
Click this link to make your payment.
- August 4 @ 8:00 am
- September 3 @ 5:00 pm